Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Post for 24th Feb...

We are staying at the Sudima Hotel in Rotorua which unfortunately does not have any wireless internet so I am typing this into notpad on my laptop in the vain hope that we will get access to the net in the next few day... atleast at the airport I guess.... Today, after a hugh breakfast at the Ibis, we drove from Hamilton to Waitomo to see the Gloworm caves, it was very interesting. The caves are pitch black and the Gloworm lava produce light in their abdouman with a chemical reaction so as to attract bugs that fly into the caves. In 2005 there was a fire at the visitor center and surrounds, so for the moment the facilities there consist only of a few demountable buildings, none the less we had fun. The cave photos in Picasa are actualy of another cave that we went to see after the gloworm cave, we could not take photos in the gloworm cave but we could in the other cave.

This was the first time I really got to use the camera on my N95 in anger and there are a couple of things I should note. If you are using one of these phones as a camera I suggest you do two things, firstly spend the time to choose one of the auto profiles before taking the photos, it makes a huge difference to the final quality of the shots, and secondly you probably should get invest in a high speed SD card, because it is a little slow between shots. In addition I found that in low light the camera is not that great, I will have to be careful what I photograph in future.

Tomorrow we will spend the entire day in Rotorua, there is stacks to do here so I will report back tomorrow on what we have done.

No comments: