Monday, March 10, 2008

Arch… You can’t get more Scottish than that…


Blog entry for 4th March

Let me start by saying that the last two days have been nothing but a very genuinely Scottish experience. After spending 3 nights holed up in a Hotel in Onich (which I neglected to blog about due to me being so tired every night from our activities and the fact that the hotel did not seem to have any internet access…wtf!) we drove north, north, north, up to a little village called Ullapool (Pronounced with a hard ‘u’ like ‘allapool’) This place is a small fishing village with a population of 1600, everything is a 5 minute walk. We meet a friend of ours and we where pleased to find out that we where the only Australians in the whole place, not hard when you consider how remote this place is, infact I don’t think you can get any further from Sydney on the planet. We spent the night there at a B&B and got the local dirt from the lady that runs the place called, Linn. She said that a drive to a place called Plockton would be very nice and we could easily go to the Isle Of Skye after that, so we did. The drive into Plockton was interesting. To start with the road was very good, nice long straight wide bits where I could get the car humming along at 90mph, but then as we got closer to the village to road go more and more narrow and hilly. Eventually it was just like driving on a small goat track, under trees, dirt patches and cattle grids every few hundred yards or so. I was fine with it, but Karen in the passengers’ seat was not enjoying it at all. Eventually we made it to Plockton and I took some photos of the vista. From here we took a leisurely drive into Skye. As the name suggests, this part of Scotland is actually an Island, it was connected only by a Ferry until very recently when they completed a bridge. Surprisingly there seems to be a rather large population here. Now the best part of this story is that on the way into Skye, our friend Jen who we had picked up in Ullapool, suggested that we contact the father of one of her friends and see if we can stay the night. Andy and Morag live in a small village called Portee on the Isle of Skye, So sure enough that’s where I am now typing this up in the Kitchen. We had a few wines last night so everyone is slow to rise. I went to bed early as I was too tired from all the driving but just before going to bed I was asked if I wanted to go on a radio show in the morning, not so much asked but convinced. It didn’t help my cause when I told them that I have done some radio work in the past, so right no I am waiting for Andy to get up to take me to the radio station, I don’t think it is going to happen…… More photos of the Scotland experience.

No comments: